Monday, September 23, 2013

Q&A COMMUNITY CONVERSATION: SCOTT KLINE, BOYNTON BEACH ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT MANAGER

Manager is always focusing on adding jobs
By Ana M. Valdes Palm Beach Post Staff Writer


Scott Kline, 39, is the new economic development manager for the city of Boynton Beach.

BOYNTON BEACH — Scott Kline has one thing in mind when he walks into work every day— bringing more jobs to Boynton Beach.

As one of the city’s newest hires, Kline’s role as economic development manager is to ensure more companies and private businesses call Boynton Beach home, increasing the city’s tax base.

But the Ohio native isn’t just about numbers and local entrepreneurship. He’s an avid concert attendee. He went to 14 last year. He also enjoys a good camping trip, and this year scratched off a bucket list item by joining a roller derby team.

Question: What does it mean to be Boynton Beach’s business development manager?

Answer: I am in charge of bringing jobs to our community while helping to expand the city’s tax base. I’m very fortunate that our city leaders have made economic development such a high priority because it really is an organizational mindset or focus. A single person cannot do it alone. Literally, it takes a village.

Q: What are some of the immediate issues you have had to tackle in the short time you have been on the job?

A: We recently launched a new website strictly focusing on economic development, www.byb2boynton.com or Bring Your Business to Boynton. We want to highlight what makes Boynton Beach different and what the benefits are of doing business here vs. somewhere else in Palm Beach County or South Florida. A web page focusing on economic development is not unique. It’s Economic Development 101, but it’s where you have to begin.

Q: What are some ideas you have brought to the table to increase business development within the city?

A: I really want to see more of our businesses taking advantage of doing business internationally. I really want to take a look at what the skills sets are of our local labor force vs. the types of skills needed to compete for jobs in the science, math, technology and engineering fields. Lastly, high-bandwidth fiber-optic cable. While it’s now becoming basic infrastructure for high-tech companies, it’s still not affordable yet to our businesses.

Q: What do you enjoy doing when not working as business development manager?

A: I really enjoy going to concerts. I went to 14 last year. I’m not going to reach that same number this year, but I hope to go to a few more before the end of this year. I was pretty bummed I missed Steely Dan last week. I also really love camping. I try to go as much as possible when it’s not too hot out. I’m proud to say I still sleep in tents, but I must admit, I now use an air mattress when possible. I also crossed an item off of my bucket list this year by joining a roller derby team. Although it had been quite a few years since I have been on skates and despite my height (6 feet 3½ inches), I was able to pick it up without injuring myself too badly ... so far.


avaldes@pbpost.com
Twitter: @AnaValdespbp